The Corner Brook Soccer Club's Coach Emergency Action Plan has been implemented to ensure that all coaches, team officials and Adult League captains understand what is required of them in the event of an incident or injury during an CBSC sanctioned game or practice.
CBSC mandates that in the event of an incident or injury during a Club sanctioned game or practice that an Injury/Incident Report must be completed by the coach or team official and the following protocol be adhered to. Please note this applies to all coaches/team officials/referees in CBSC's House League and Competitive programs, and to all coaches/team captains in CBSC's Adult League.
An incident or injury includes any occurrence that should be brought to the Club's attention including but not limited to:
* Any and all injuries, whether minor or major
* Verbal and/or physical altercations between any parties associated with the game/practice (coaches, players, parents, referees, spectators, etc.)
* Any instance in which Emergency Services (Police, Fire, Ambulance) are notified/required to attend the scene.
A minor incident would be a situation which was solved/rectified on the spot by the parties involved and did not consist of violent or aggressive behaviour.
A minor injury would include but is not limited to an injury that did not require medical attention immediately or after the event.
A major incident would include but is not limited to a situation which involved a physical altercation, verbal abuse or harassment, bullying, etc. and required further resolution and/or required the notification of Emergency Services.
A major injury would include but is not limited to an injury that required first aid and/or medical attention immediately or in the days following the occurrence. Any time Emergency Services or medical attention is required (EMS attending the scene or parental transport to a hospital, urgent care center or doctors office), it is considered a major injury.
When having difficultly determining whether an incident or injury is minor or major, please err on the side of caution and adhere to the major incident/injury protocol. In the event of a head injury, please use the Concussion Recognition Tool and adhere to CBSC's Concussion/Return to Play Protocol.
1) Determine whether the Incident/Injury is major or minor based on the definitions stated in CBSC's protocol.
2) If the occurrence is minor, complete the appropriate Incident & Injury report form and submit it to the appropriate CBSC contact (listed on the bottom of the form) within 24 hours.
If the occurrence is major, proceed with the following steps:
1) Remain calm and in control of the situation
2) Instruct someone to phone 9-1-1 and perform first aid as required
3) Involve/contact the parent of the player if applicable.
4) Contact the appropriate CBSC staff member immediately to notify them of the situation:
Technical Director or Operations Manager or the Facilities Manager.
*Please note - if Emergency Services are called or a player is transported directly to a medical care center, the CBSC staff member listed above must be notified.
5) Complete the appropriate Incident & Injury Report and submit it to the Club as soon as possible.
Please note that in the event of an injury or incident in the Wellington St. Soccer Complex, coaches must adhere to the instructions given from the CBSC staff who will manage the situation according to CBSC's Emergency Procedures Manual.